Modern Rifleman: Griffin Armament Optimus Review

Home Forums Manufacturers Griffin Armament Modern Rifleman: Griffin Armament Optimus Review

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Modern Rifleman

Silencer Shop Authority: Griffin Armament Optimus Review

For as long as I’ve been involved with suppressors, cardinal rules of NFA ownership have stated that shooters need at least three separate silencers to cover every main type of firearm. Excluding shotguns, most guns can be tamed using one of the following: a .30 caliber rifle silencer, a .45 ACP pistol can, or a .22 caliber rimfire suppressor. While owning three distinct silencers will suit most people very well, building such a collection can be very pricey. Suppressors themselves simply are not cheap and adding $600 ($200 each) in tax stamps on top of the cost frequently turns away all but the most dedicated.

Thanks to a few creative companies, the suppressor paradigm is set to change in 2016. At the end of last year, both Griffin Armament and SilencerCo announced that they had developed highly adaptable, multi-caliber silencers that could effectively suppress most popular calibers. Griffin’s offering, the Optimus 9, was the first to market and is rated for use with essentially anything that fits through its 9mm aperture, up to .300 Winchester Magnum. Thanks to the folks at Silencer Shop, I was able to spend the past two weeks examining this revolutionary suppressor. READ MORE.

Plus-Minus
      + Insanely adaptable
      + Durable, full 17-4 stainless construction
      + Performs surprisingly well on all compatible calibers
      – Relatively heavy on a pistol

John C
      Participant

Thanks very much for the review. I’m 2 months into waiting for transfer of one of these. Of course, with the government shut down, it’s only added to my misery.

Tye
      Participant

@John C

How do you like your Optimus. My form 4 just got approved and I am now waiting o. The tax stamp.

John C
      Participant

Absolutely love it! Very quiet! Especially on .300Blk 7.5” shorty. Also very impressive on 6.5 Creedmoor. Get ready to drop
      some $$$$$ on GA accessories.

Tye
      Participant

@John C

That’s what I have been doing for the last 10 months…I have muzzle devices on all my rifles (taper and tri-lug) the tri-lug adapter, the minimalist blast shield, and the fixed barrel spacer…just waiting on the can!

Tye
      Participant

@John C

Also, I have an 8″ 300 BO, so that is good to hear!

John C
      Participant

Sounds like you’ve done your homework. Check out the griffin accessories at Hansohnbrothers.com. They’re reselling them cheaper than you can buy them from GA. That’s my only beef, and don’t get me wrong.. I love GA.. they build good stuff. But, after dropping that much $$ on a can, they rape you on accessories. Would think an established customer and owner of their products (cause there’s a lot of good competition out there)….could at least have some advantage. I can buy it cheaper from some reseller who I have no ties to, than I can from the company I’m already in bed with?! C’mon GA.. you can do better.

Tye
      Participant

@John C
      I hear you, but then I look at dead-air and surefire accessories and I thank the good Lord that I chose GA. I think it is a product of our beloved (sarcasm) regulatory agencies controlling (manipulating) the system. The price of accessories is driven by the total number of suppressors sold, which is limited by archaic taxes and processes’. I don’t blame GA…they obviously offer retail discounts to Hansohn Bros et. al.

Best,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now