FBI Backlog 2018

Home Forums NFA Tracker Form 4 Questions FBI Backlog 2018

This topic contains 24 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  monsterman 2 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

IAShooters
    Participant

I called the ATF today to get a status on 2 form 4 suppressor stamps, Pending: 3/14/18 and 3/20/18 and was told they are waiting on the FBI background check. I asked what is expected average wait time and I was told they will not give out a wait time as the FBI is back logged and ATF is not. Anybody else hear this same “FBI backlogged” excuse?

thanks

Greg

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  IAShooters.

Brian
    Participant

Probably not what you’re going to want to hear but…I’ve been pending FBI since 09/10, check cashed 02/24. I received a letter in the mail, from the FBI, stating that they have cleared me on both of my pending Form 4’s. I was never able to get a return phone call from the examiner so I asked to speak to a supervisor, I emailed her a copy of the FBI letter 2 weeks ago…haven’t heard a word other than “we’ll look into it”.

IAShooters
    Participant

Probably not what you’re going to want to hear but…I’ve been pending FBI since 09/10, check cashed 02/24. I received a letter in the mail, from the FBI, stating that they have cleared me on both of my pending Form 4’s. I was never able to get a return phone call from the examiner so I asked to speak to a supervisor, I emailed her a copy of the FBI letter 2 weeks ago…haven’t heard a word other than “we’ll look into it”.

So did you just automatically get a letter from the FBI or did you have to get a hold of someone at the FBI first?
    Greg

Brian
    Participant

That’s a great question, unfortunately I’m not sure what the answer is. I got my local Congressman’s office involved in mid Sept. The lady there did a great job in getting information for me, from both the ATF and FBI. So, I’m not sure if the letter is s.o.p. or because the Congressman’s office was involved.

Matt Z
    Participant

Form 4 suppressor stamp, Check cashed on 4/2/18. I try to call every week to check status. For the past 3 weeks, they’ve told me it’s at FBI awaiting background check. When I questioned the examiner, they told me the same thing, the FBI is backlogged. Before that, I was just “pending”. Isn’t it a standard NICS background check at the FBI? I thought that was suppose to happen fairly quick.

Brian
      Participant

Form 4 suppressor stamp, Check cashed on 4/2/18. I try to call every week to check status. For the past 3 weeks, they’ve told me it’s at FBI awaiting background check. When I questioned the examiner, they told me the same thing, the FBI is backlogged. Before that, I was just “pending”. Isn’t it a standard NICS background check at the FBI? I thought that was suppose to happen fairly quick.

Unfortunately, it most likely was “delayed pending further review” at the FBI, that was the case with mine. I wasn’t given an explanation as to why it happened. On a brighter note, I called and did a status check again this morning and got the “pending FBI background again. I sent the letter I received from the FBI to an ATF supervisor again today and I have now been approved.

Pending: 02/26/18
      Pending FBI: 09/10/18
      Letter to Congressman: 09/18/18
      FBI issued letter stating they have cleared me: 10/25/18
      Sent that letter to ATF Supervisor: 11/05/18
      Sent again: 11/16/18
      Approved: 11/16/18 (265 Days)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Brian.

K3B
      Participant

On behalf of all of us here who want to get their suppressors: Please stop calling the ATF. All you’re doing is tying up the examiner on the phone and slowing them down from processing our forms. I get it: you want your suppressor. But so do we. If you look around on this forum, you’ll quickly realize one fact: your Congressman has next to no ability to speed this process along. So sit back, relax and just keep riding it out with the FBI background check. There’s nothing that any of us can do about it, other than support the ASA’s efforts to speed things along. Hopefully the Efile Form 4’s will be here soon. But calling the examiner every week to hear the same message is the definition of insanity.

Edward Thatch
        Participant

I agree, stop calling.
        I guarantee anyone that has called to check on the status instead of just patiently wait will definitely have your paperwork held up at least a couple months by the ATF, it’s just what they do. My individual form4 electronic arrived yesterday and check was cashed mid June.

MAXIM9
          Participant

How were you able to do an electronic form 4? I thought that is offline

monsterman
            Participant

Yes, I am also very curious about the electronic form 4. According to Silencer Shop they quit accepting those in 2014. But there is a bar on the tracker for F4 individual- Efile. I submitted this question to the Tracker and never got a response.

Brad
    Participant

Examiner’s don’t answer the phones. And in most cases they wont transfer you to your examiner unless you have a legit issue. I went pending 7/26/17 and still waiting I have called many times and only talked to my examiner once.

Pending 7/26/17

FBI background around 3/15/18

called 11/13/18 still waiting on FBI

K3B
      Participant

Which begs the next question: Why bother calling at all? If the secretary is just going to tell you “It’s pending”, then you’re just going to have to wait. Let’s face it, there’s nothing to be done other than wait.

Brad
        Participant

Calling isn’t holding any thing up. It a good ideal to call incase there is an issue as well.

Adam3289
    Participant

I’m blessed to live in NC with a good Senator. After waiting since 12/19/17 and being in FBI pending background since June, I called their office on the 6th, they had me to fill out paperwork to inquire to FBI, I turned it in early morning the 11/8/18 and Senators office forward me a reply from FBI that they cleared status on he 11/9/18. Next day after 11 month wait, can’t be coincdence. It took NFA 2 business days to finish approval and they mailed to dealership. Anyone who says congressman, I don’t know why more don’t reach out to Senator, that’s their job.

Brian
    Participant

Congressman has next to no ability to speed this process along. So sit back, relax and just keep riding it out with the FBI background check. There’s nothing that any of us can do about it, other than support the ASA’s efforts to speed things along.

I beg to differ. My Congressman’s office was in contact with the FBI regarding my pending Form 4, afterwards the FBI mailed me a letter stating they had flagged me for further review but they have now cleared me. I actually had two Form 4’s pending but only inquired about the one that was running up against 9 months, the other was only received on 07/11/18. I received confirmation yesterday that BOTH have been approved. 268 days and 132 days respectively.

Simon
    Participant

I have a Form 4 trust that is 230 days since check cashed. I called the ATF today and was informed about the backlogged FBI check. I don’t know how long it’s been there since it was my first time calling. This concerns me as I have Form 4s in the pipe. My previous approval was in March of this year after 280 days, but if the FBI backlog is pushing it out to 500+ days, I won’t sit by idly.

Seems like the steps to take are to contact Senators and Representatives? Once the FBI sends you written confirmation that you are cleared, do I have to forward that to the ATF?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Simon.

Brian
      Participant

That’s precisely what I did. Once my local Rep’s office was able to get confirmation from the FBI that they cleared me, I received a letter about a week later. I called the ATF and asked to speak with a supervisor, I left a voicemail to which the supervisor responded the same day. She provided me with her email, I sent the letter, followed up via email a few days later and was told I would be provided with additional info when she had additional info. I waited another week and emailed again asking the status of it and it was approved with hours, as was the my other Form 4 that went pending in July. It seems the FBI either approves it very quickly after they receive it, or they flag it “delayed pending further review”.

james
    Participant

just called on two form 4’s check cashed 03/20/2018 and was advised that they are waiting on the FBI. I was hoping to have my cans for this hunting season but its not looking likely.

Eric
    Participant

Filed: May 7th. Check cashed May 15th. Called to check status today 12/5/18 “NFA Branch General Mailbox is not available.” WTF? Did they all quit? Left a message with my name, product SN, and Transferor. I’m a vet with a security clearance, worked on the flight line at an airport, a paramedic, and I work part time selling firearms in the library at Cabelas. I can’t imagine my background check is holding things up.

dmorton18222
      Participant

December 5, 2018 was declared a National Day of Mourning by the President…making today a Federal Holiday. There isn’t anyone there to answer the phones. Call tomorrow.

rdj0hns0n
    rdj0hns0n
    Participant

I think it’s pretty pathetic that one has to contact their Representative(s) in Washington to get the FBI to do a simple task. It’s no secret the DOJ and its subsidiary the FBI are flush with Hillary/Bernie supporters. Just look at the top of the dung heap and I believe its obvious where their priorities lie and subsequently where yours lie. But if this is what it takes to get the FBI to do their job so be it.

monsterman
      Participant

Come on. The notion that there is some Democrat in the FBI determined to stop ATF approvals is just silly. I know several Federal workers. They go to work, they do their jobs, like everyone else. And yes, they have their own political views, like everyone else. The same people who complain about the size of government complain when they have to wait. Of course that’s the key. You just wait, like the rest of us. And note that the top layers of the DOF and the FBI are all Trump appointees.

EPOZ
    Participant

Filed: May 7th. Check cashed May 15th. Called to check status today 12/5/18 “NFA Branch General Mailbox is not available.” WTF? Did they all quit? Left a message with my name, product SN, and Transferor. I’m a vet with a security clearance, worked on the flight line at an airport, a paramedic, and I work part time selling firearms in the library at Cabelas. I can’t imagine my background check is holding things up.

I know of a FFL with a Class 3 SOT that got hung in the background check for more than 4 months on a form 4. So don’t hold your breath imagining your background check won’t hold things up.

James
    Participant

I swear waiting on my stamp to come in is killing me! And I was approved November 15th…

rkAz.
    Participant

Check cashed June 28th, I have heard nothing nor received any letters from FBI as others have stated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now