Reply To: how to move NFA item from form 4 to 3

Home Forums NFA Tracker Form 4 Questions how to move NFA item from form 4 to 3 Reply To: how to move NFA item from form 4 to 3

Chief (Retired)
  • Posts: 21
Join Date: 06/19/2019

As you may know, the Form 4 is for transfer between entities (individuals, corps, trusts) and the Form 3 is for transfer between dealers (tax-free). The proper form is selected at time of transfer without consideration to the form used for any prior transfer. An NFA item remains in the same registry regardless of whether it is transferred on a Form 3 or 4.

A practical example of this would be a Form 4 transfer from an entity (such as an individual) to a dealer. The dealer could then use a Form 3 to transfer to another dealer. The receiving dealer could then do a Form 4 transfer to an entity or a Form 3 transfer to another dealer. This example happens regularly when an item is sold to an entity in another state.

In summary, the form is selected based on the type of transfer being performed (entity or dealer-to-dealer). You don’t ‘move an item’ from one form to another; it is simply transferred using the correct form.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now