Why the fuss?

Home Forums Off Topic Freestyle Room Why the fuss?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  SirVyn 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

SirVyn
    Participant

Good evening peoples.

First time poster, long time lurker…

What’s with all the fuss and whiny posts? Did people not know that there would be long wait times? Especially w/ the push for sales last summer? We basically flooded the ATF w/ more work than they could ever handle. In some way WE created the delays.

davidlofton
    Participant

Patrick, ……finally, a voice of sanity. You’re 100% right. We did cause. But the problem is that we expect 90 days or less because we sometimes LOL apply
    What the civilian private market response would be and tend to forget that the government is unable and unwilling and incapable of doing things with smooth progress with dynamic leadership. Sadly, if just about any of our employment were based on the job performance the ATF does we would be LONG since fired or of self employed out of business.

Dave

SirVyn
    Participant

Maybe, but the number of submissions for how many agents? 90 days would be really great, but I think it’s a bit unrealistic at this time. Maybe next year?

Either way I don’t get people being so upset. Silencer Shop has a great bit on their site… “forget about it”.
    Now, don’t get me wrong I check here a once or twice a week just to see where people are at. Over the last week or so it seems like the whiners are really laying it on thick.

TheTakeover
    Participant

12-14 months seems a little excessive so people are complaining. that’s what we are headed for on trust approvals. a lot of people got too excited and thought things would speed up soo much once 41 got cleared. they had unrealistic expectations and are now whining. I think it is safe to say that individual reviews are speeding up a ton, but trust approvals are still going to be at the 12-16 month timeframe for the foreseeable future.

Cmd296
    Participant

I think a lot of us are just surprised that we’re headed for 12-16 months. The ATF was able to knock out the pre-41f applications and keep most wait times under a year, but somehow with 25% of the workload, wait times are continuing to increase. I agree with Dave – for most of us, if we had 75% less work to do, but it still took us the same amount of time to complete, our employers would invite us to collect a paycheck from someone else.

I think a poster in another topic might have hit the nail on the head with the issue of the stall we’re seeing on the graph. Apparently, any application with an error on it is counted as complete once returned to the applicant/SOT (at least until the corrected form is received back by the ATF). So while the ATF may be “finished” with the pre-41f applications, they’re probably dealing with a mess of corrected forms that were rushed through with errors in the middle of July. At least, I’m trying to give the ATF the benefit of the doubt, because I can’t really see any other explanation for why processing of trusts has all but stopped.

dq
      Participant

I won’t speak for everyone that are waiting for Form * Trusts, but it’s really insulting that we see Feb 2017 approvals when I am waiting for Form 1 Trust (2 Person). It’s like waiting in line at Disneyland, and there are two lines, one for family and one for individuals. Now the individuals line is moving 4x as fast, while you stand still in the sun with your family watching the individual line enjoying themselves. If I wait, everyone wait together. Why not re-purpose the resource over to the Trust and help the line move together?

Mike
        Participant

The approval date range shouldn’t be that widespread between Trusts and Individuals. Reallocating a few examiners wouldn’t slow down Individuals by much but could speed up Trusts to maybe 10 months at this rate…which would sadly be great.

While I “understand” the argument/reasoning behind individuals being approved faster – there are more than 2 lines (examiners) at this theme park and if one is significantly backed up while another is flying through, some balance should be implemented regardless of party size. I can’t call out any statistics but I’m assuming most Trusts are under 5 people anyway…

jam86
    Participant

Hey guys first time posting, I’m just getting my feet wet with my first suppressor.. I think I was a lil miss informed. I saw on different sites that individuals usually had a faster approve time so I told my dealer that was the way I wanted to go. He told me that a trust with one RP was the same! Is this true?

Eaglearcher20
      Participant

All things being equal, they would be close. However, all things are not equal right now. It appears that individuals are being processed anywhere from November 2016-January 2017 check cashed dates. Trusts are still stuck in August and September right now. From what I can piece together, a lot of the trusts sent in just prior to 41f last year have errors which are holding things up.

Do your homework on which is best for you, trust or individual. Don’t just go by which you will get faster. If you have a spouse or family that will need/have permission to use your NFA items WITHOUT you being around, you need a trust. If you and only you need/will have access to your NFA items, you should be fine with Individual. In my case, I went with a trust since my wife will have access to my NFA items. She won’t be using them for fun or anything without me, but in the event she would have to defend herself while i’m not around I don’t want her or myself going to jail or being heavily fined on a technicality.

SirVyn
      Participant

Also, one day you will die. What do you want to happen to your NFA investments? My trust is setup stating who will inherit items.

dtp
    Participant

I think the hope of seeing light at the end of the tunnel made many including myself unhappy. Basically thinking a year worst case for something some of us spent thousands on. Then to find out it may be up to 16 months. I came into this thinking 3 to 4 months not being aware of the 41f issue. Then to learn things may even be worse post 41f is frankly very dissapointing.

But I guess they did their best and now have to go back and clean up the mess from pre 41f rushing. So be it. If this keeps up, the market innovate around their rules.

Regarding SS saying ‘Forget about it’… As in I forget and sell my threaded firearms and then finally get a call? 😆

Just food for thought. Ever notice how there’s so many hearing aid ads in gun publications? yeah….

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  dtp.

SirVyn
    Participant

“some of us spent thousands on. ”

I’ve spent a little over 10 grand on NFA items in 2017 between Jan 1st and April 30th. So I understand completely.

But yeah, if ATF would reallocate some of their assets into the Trust side of things people would be a bit happier. But at the end of the day, the only way the masses are going to be happy is HPA passing(which never will) and not having to worry about stamps on cans any more. And even then, IF HPA were to pass we’d be crying about something else…

Never ending cycle of QQ. We spend more time crying about stuff that really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, than we do about the really urgent and important stuff.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  SirVyn.

Mike
      Participant

Converted M16 (SP1)
      Double Form 4 transfer (out of state trust)
      I’m rocking over 16 months since purchase haha. First transfer was May-Sept

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now