Time limit

Home Forums NFA Tracker Form 4 Questions Time limit

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shastadude17 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Shaun
    Participant

I’m new to the NFA world (sent in first Form 4 last month) so I apologise if this is a stupid question. Is there a maximum time limit on how long the ATF can take processing paperwork, or could the ATF hypothetically delay processing indefinitely? A 12+ month long wait sure sounds like it would be an unacceptable wait period to exercise any other Constitutional Right.

shastadude17
    Participant

A lot of states have mandatory time limits for the government to approve concealed weapon permits. Unfortunately there is no such federal law that mandates the BATFE to process NFA applications in a certain amount of time. It takes what it takes. It is, however, shall issue so long as state law is compliant.

Shaun
    Participant

Ok, Thanks. My home state has the time limit for ccw processing which is why I was curious about the NFA. Shall issue is nice, but does that prevent the ATF from holding a decision indefinitely? By the way, I’m not at all suggesting that the ATF is purposefully causing such long wait times, but it is something to be aware of never the less. Could you imagine if protesters had to wait 13 months before they were allowed permits to protest? I imagine there would be… protests.

shastadude17
    Participant

The wait times are because of the simple influx in applications. In 2015 I e-filed a form 1 on a trust and 90 days later I had a PDF of my approved form in my e-mail. Last year had more applications than the previous 2 combined, and the ATF was not prepared. There are many factors as to why it takes so long, and the ATF is working on trying to speed things up. The white letter and recent changes/announcements are evidence of that. Coupled with the drop in applications, the wait times are already plummeting back toward that 90ish day turn around. Short answer, if they intentionally indefinitely delay you or anyone’s applications, a case could be made for violation of due process as they have certainly already cashed your check. Fortunately the ATF seems to have good people running the show in their NFA branch.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now