The new E-Form 4's?

Home Forums NFA Tracker Form 4 Questions The new E-Form 4's?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chorizo 3 months ago.

• Author

Jim
    Participant

OK, not really e-forms, but I saw that now if you submit any new form 4’s through a Silencer Shop Kiosk, your form 4 now has a barcode attached to it so the examiners can just scan them in rather than a manual input. Supposed to save time.

What’s really interesting, according to the silencer shop web site, is that they have already processed a bunch of form 4’s using this new input. Who were the lucky test subjects that got to jump the waiting line?

OK, I’m really just hating at this point. Hopefully this new process will speed things up. I still remember considering getting my first suppressor back when the atf did have e-form 4’s and wait times were down to 3 months. The good ol days.

Anyone have a submission bar coded yet?

davidlofton
    Participant

I’d give my left testicle for a 3 month wait time at this point!!!!

Jim
    Participant

OK, TTAG is reporting that there may be 2 queues now started for form 4’s. One using the old method, and one using the new scan method (that is supposed to be in effect immediately).

If I drop a form 4 for a new can today, maybe I’ll get it approved before my Hybrid comes in that I bought back in February. According to the article, scans happen immediately and the only long part involved is the FBI running the finger prints. Maybe new can purchased get approved and back in under a month?

chorizo
    Participant

There better not be two queues. There is no credible and supportable explanation why the most recent applications should get priority handling ahead of those who have been waiting for 8-10 months.

Jim
    Participant

I’ve been on the silencer shop web site for a little bit reading the blog. I think TTAG may have jumped the gun a little.

Reading the conversations it sounds like it will take 3 months for the ATF to clear out all the pre-barcode submissions. That would be everything that was submitted up until sometime last July. It sounds like if you used silencer shop to submit your form 4, starting sometime in July it will automatically have a barcode on it.

After that, then we may see the 2 queues. But it doesn’t sound like if you use the new submission system, that you get to jump the line. Still though, who got to be one of the 3000 test cases?

chorizo
      Participant

Concur. I have been dealing with the ATF-NFA for many years now and they have always seemed to be very methodical and structured when it came to processing forms. It would be very surprising if they did something like that. As for the 3000 forms, you got to remember that the INPUT is the only thing it saves time for, so those forms were input, but still are in line for background checks which doesn’t give them front of the line privileges for that. In other words the only people they may have gotten in front were the folks who did have bar codes who submitted at the same time as folks who didn’t starting in July of this year. I think that is what he means by 2 different queues in the future too. Those who use bar codes and those who don’t and that will determine when you get placed in line for background checks (if required) with the barcode folks getting “in processed” quicker.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  chorizo.

chorizo
    Participant

Capital Armory article is closer to the truth, IMO: http://www.capitolarmory.com/blog/what-is-the-atf-bar-code-system.html

THE BOTTOM LINE

We are thrilled with any improvement or increased efficiency at the ATF, and we are happy to implement bar codes on our forms to help in any way we can. However, what has been communicated through recent press releases is the bar code system will result in faster approval of forms, which is just wishful thinking at this point. Eliminating 60 seconds of time per form for data entry personnel does not correlate to faster approval time frames for the legal examiners who actually approve the forms. Any speculation of reduced wait times due to implementing the bar code system is purely a guess at this point, and no person, dealer, distributor, or manufacturer knows how the ATF will allocate their resources if they require less data entry staff due to the bar codes. Faster approval times on forms would be great for everyone in the industry and we definitely hope wait times will decrease, but as of now, we have no evidence this will occur simply due to implementing a bar code system.

COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
    Q: Does the new ATF bar code system advance or speed up my wait time?
    A: Forms with bar codes will not be given priority over those forms without bar codes. Bar codes only speed up the initial data entry process; they do not aide the legal examiner. The bar codes remove some of the data entry required when the Form 4 first reaches the ATF, but they do not affect the time spent by the legal examiners who review and approve your Form 4.

Q: Should I wait until the new bar code system is implemented to submit my Form 4?
    A: Forms with bar codes do not get a “jump” in line – they simply eliminate some data entry by the ATF. All forms are entered into the ATF’s database in the order in which they are received and there is not preferential treatment for those forms with a bar code. Capitol Armory’s form generating system will include bar codes starting September 1, 2017.

Q: Will wait times significantly drop because of the new bar code system?
    A: Probably not. This new system only affects the data entry team and they do not approve forms. In the long term, this will reduce ATF costs and some inefficiencies, but it will not affect your wait time for a legal examiner to approve your Form 4.

Q: Is the bar code system proprietary and can my dealer implement it?
    A: The bar code system is not proprietary to any one dealer or manufacturer. Any dealer can implement or use the ATF bar code system as long as they have the technical capabilities to do so.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  chorizo.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now