READ ME

Home Forums General Site Help and Support READ ME

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  chorizo 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    NFA Tracker
    NFA Tracker
    Keymaster

Multiple issues have been fixed over the past few days. I know there has been some concern about the spread sheet and individual wait time predict. That is coming back.

The old site let you enter any info for the description of the item. That has changed. If you have something that is not on the list there are two options.
    1. Email info@nfatracker.com and I can add them in.
    2. Select Custom – Form 1 or Custom Form 4

The old site had garbage in that field which made advanced graphs impossible. By having the data normalized we can have all sort of interesting charts and data.

Additionally since this is a user generated site if you want to see any graphs or charts that you think would be useful to the community then let me know. I have a list of features that are going to be added but your collective input is better than what I can come up with on my own.

johnny whiskers
    Participant

Since folks try and predict approval off of a specific dates, it would be helpful to be able to generate a date specific graph which has approved vs pending. Perhaps a pie chart that shows how many people have been approved vs still waiting for an individual date. Would be especially helpful for folks who see that there are approvals for dates on or after their specific pending date.

NFA Tracker
      NFA Tracker
      Keymaster

Kind of a probability chart so to speak. 40% of the people on X date have been approved so there is a 40% chance that yours will be soon. That the idea?

HSR47
        HSR47
        Participant

That sounds like what he’s suggesting, and it actually sounds like a neat idea.

johnny whiskers
    Participant

Exactly, I think that is what a lot of people are after. Comparing their status to others with the same or similar dates. Seems like a lot of folks attempt to extrapolate it from the larger trends. This way you could see both the big and small picture.
    It would need to tell you the % of approval/pending out of a total number of submission. More I thought about it, I like the idea of a pie chart that includes numerics. For example 8 out of 16 stamps on 4/15/16 have been approved so a 50/50 pie chart. Or something to that effect.
    Seems like a lot of people are interested in the raw spread sheet data cause they’re searching it, this is how I would search it, by a single date or small spread of dates bracketing your pending date.
    Thanks for working to make the site better!

mrkrag
      Participant

I agree with this idea. This is what I have been looking at on the detailed reports. Two views I try to create: “status of apps submitted same time as mine?” and “when did people who got approved today apply?”

Perhaps something right on the front page that displays “Today’s approvals submitted on: XX/XX/XXXX”

NFA Tracker
    NFA Tracker
    Keymaster

I’ll get working on that. Thanks

HSR47
      HSR47
      Participant

I think what would be most useful would be to break the data down by week (and maybe also by month — if there aren’t enough submissions entered for a given single date, the results won’t be particularly useful), and show the kind of information that Whiskers suggested:

* Show a pie graph that details the status of submissions with checks cashed in the given time frame (being able to combine data from multiple weeks might be nice, but I’m not sure how useful it would be).
      * Have the option to show the breakdown of the items (i.e. 4 MG, 35 SBR, 3 SBS, etc.).
      * Show generalized time to approval (maybe a bar graph?) for the date range selected “X approved after N days, Y approved after N+1 days, Z approved after N+2 days, etc.) — and have the option to break it down by type of Title II firearm.

Additionally, if you’re going to break data down by week, Sunday to Saturday probably makes the most sense — Plenty of applications get submitted or approved on Sundays, but USPS doesn’t run on Sunday, so they won’t get mailed until Monday or later, and eforms come back immediately.

Breaking it up by week (and maybe by months too) would also mean that you could set the backend to generate the data on a schedule, or based around load, so that they weren’t being constantly recomputed every time someone opened the page — just set it to generate the graphs based on the data in the main DB, and then store the results until the next scheduled update. While this would result in data that is slightly less fresh, minimizing server load is probably more important: If we’re already waiting 8 months for paperwork, data that’s 6-24 hours old should be more than sufficient to know whether or not we should be expecting an approval anytime soon.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by HSR47 HSR47.
      • This reply was modified 1 year ago by HSR47 HSR47.
    NFA Tracker
    NFA Tracker
    Keymaster

Good stuff. I’ve made some notes for when we get to it.

KCMO-Kid
    Participant

I think an estimated stamp date would be cool. kinda like the probability graph on the old site but only more date oriented. maybe a way to get people who input their dates wrong to have them changed , removed or flagged to keep the charts and graph as accurate as possible.

NFA Tracker
      NFA Tracker
      Keymaster

That is the trick. Getting people to enter in correct information. It’s going to take some time to figure out that piece and remove them.

chorizo
    Participant

Set an arbitrary number. For example….any time that is greater than 30 days, plus or minus, outside of the average last 90 days of date of approval would be excluded. I believe that you can set that formula in excel to do that.

It would give you a “norm” of approvals. The outliers are not what would be of interest to the VAST majority of users.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now