How many stamps will need to be paid back if the Hearing Protection Act passes??

Home Forums NFA Tracker NFA Tracker Questions How many stamps will need to be paid back if the Hearing Protection Act passes??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Nolimeplease Nolimeplease 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Nolimeplease
    Nolimeplease
    Participant

Hey guys.
    Is there a way to get an idea of how many stamps have been sold since October 22 2015? I understand these will all need to be paid back if the bill passes. There’s a good chance now, the bill has 81 sponsors as of today!
    Any way to keep a running total?

chorizo
    Participant

Even if it passes under Obama’s watch, it will get vetoed. The only way it will pass is if it gets added to a bill like a funding extension, which is unlikely. If it is reintroduced in January 2017 in the new Congress, the clock starts anew. In all likelihood, NO stamps will get refunded from this bill.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  chorizo.

tf2addict
      Participant

If the original bill is kept as-is the payback will still be there.

Payback would be nice but I’ll settle for just getting silencers removed from the NFA.

What will be interesting is what will happen to all the form 4’s in the queue if and when the bill passes. Will they still have to be approved and sent out before the buyer can pick up their silencer or will they be able to go get them as of a certain date? I know there is a lot for Trump and the Congress to do in the first few months but if this doesn’t happen in the first year I’d say it won’t be happening at all. Personally I’m not buying any more silencers until this shakes out. I suspect most people will be doing the same.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  tf2addict.
      • This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  tf2addict.

chorizo
        Participant

You obviously haven’t read the bill. It states that tax credits will be given “from the date of filing” of the bill. Additionally in the new Congress, they cannot file a “retroactive” bill that deals with funding issues to include refunds.

Sorry, but your assumption is not based in how laws are passed and how Congress works.

chorizo
    Participant

tf2addict
    Participant

Even if a new bill has to be written there is nothing preventing them from setting any date they want re: refunds.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  tf2addict.

chorizo
    Participant

Yes there is. It is call the US Constitution: Article 1, section 9 precludes any Ex Post Facto (After the Fact) laws from being passed. That is the reason that the language say “….from the date of introduction of this bill….”

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec9.html

Now the SCOTUS has weakened that to allow some tax laws to pass retroactive, but it requires an emergency provision which is highly unlikely. The history of Congress is that it RARELY reaches back to the previous term (it is a two year congressional term that ends January 3 officially and has currently adjourned Sine Die as of Saturday).

What is more likely is that the reintroduction of the bill will state the same thing as it does now or given the back log, that all stamps NOT issued at the time of passage of the bill will get a refund.

No matter how much someone wishes something is so, doesn’t make it so.

sasquatch
    Participant

I just talked to a lady on the phone to ask why they had no record of my Form 4 that was submitted back in June. She said they got ~350,000 submissions before the 41F deadline. So I’m sure there would be a lot of money coming back.

rinjur
    Participant

It will get cut pretty quick.

As per the post above if they did get 350k submitted before 41F date. That alone put $70,000,000 into their account. That is a lot of $$$ to give back. And that is just a small sample of it.

chorizo
    Participant

The Senate version S.59 only refunds to 9 Jan 2017. At Best this is what you will see. Read it and see.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/59/related-bills

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  chorizo.
    Nolimeplease
    Nolimeplease
    Participant

If the new senate version is the one adopted, I’ll still be happy. I was just going to use the refund money for a new can, anyways.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now