Anyone with "pending fbi check" actually get approved?

Home Forums NFA Tracker Form 4 Questions Anyone with "pending fbi check" actually get approved?

This topic contains 51 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Hasselblad 1 day, 2 hours ago.

• Author

Tayler
    Participant

Mainly on Form 4 individual… I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone that’s actually been approved after hearing waiting on fbi background check

Hasselblad
    Participant

It certainly does seem as though they simply stopped working on them.

It’s been well over a couple months since my 1 and 4 have been in FBI limbo. Called once again today and the woman I spoke with said that the FBI backlog is really large now. She had no idea what the holdup is but she said there were no issues with my applications. The ATF are apparently getting a lot of calls on it.

My checks were cashed end of march 2017. The tracker clearly shows that something happened at the FBI to cause this sudden “backlog”. Would LOVE to know if it is politics, and would love even more to hear of heads rolling over it.

Tayler
    Participant

It certainly does seem as though they simply stopped working on them.

It’s been well over a couple months since my 1 and 4 have been in FBI limbo. Called once again today and the woman I spoke with said that the FBI backlog is really large now. She had no idea what the holdup is but she said there were no issues with my applications. The ATF are apparently getting a lot of calls on it.

My checks were cashed end of march 2017. The tracker clearly shows that something happened at the FBI to cause this sudden “backlog”. Would LOVE to know if it is politics, and would love even more to hear of heads rolling over it.

Apparently so many calls they took the day off hah. Had a friend tell me the NFA line just went straight to full mailbox today. The fbi check seems to be stretching people an extra 4-6+ months, “normal” Individual F4 approvals are in September now

davidlofton
    Participant

Okay, so we need to go over what « FBI background check » really means.

FOR NFA PURPOSES ONLY they do a NICS check and also a fingerprint AFIS and NCIC. They do NOT do a full SSBI background (if you’re a federal agent or other military you’ll know what an SSBI is so I shouldn’t have to explain).

Now, if your NICS comes up « proceed » then you’re basically a normal auto approval. If you come up « wait » there is no three days period and you then pass like a Title 1 Firearm. These are Title 2 NFA arms.

All the wait people then get a full review. If your background reveals ANY charges where there is not an NCIC disposition then you CANNOT benalleoved untik the FBI gets a certified court doc proof of the status of the charges. This includes misdemeanors!!!!
    If you have ever been arrested and your prints match another name (i.e., you lied to the police to get out of the charges) then you’ll get SULER EXTRA SCOUTINY.

The FBI Background must get a clear status on each and every charge under each and every name you’ve ever been in any place.

That is why it is so import to get a « proceed » from the NICS check.

Given I am a former fededal officer I am almost NEVER going to get a proceed cause I am in the « rapback list ».

Oh well.

davidlofton
    Participant

So there you have it ladies. That’s the basics of a background. It is not a full background investigation like police officers get when we are hired. Nor is it a SSBI

Jared Billotte
    Participant

I am fairly new to buying NFA items, but does it appear that someone at the FBI is stonewalling to prevent people from owning NFA items? Would it help if enough people wrote their Rep’s to see what is causing the delay?

Tayler
    Participant

I dont think they think the wait is keeping anyone from NFA, if you cant wait 6 months (individual) for something then you dont like it that much. As far as trusts go after 41f I think they’re figuring shit out still, that’s not an excuse for an absurd wait, but I dont think anything out of the ordinary is happening, almost 400,000 forms, double what they did in 2013 plus we had 41f and on top of that the government has never been known to “quickly adjust”, I wouldn’t doubt if they still have the same amount of workers. Not defending crappy work ethic, just saying I’m not surprised.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Tayler.

Hasselblad
    Participant

I dont think they think the wait is keeping anyone from NFA, if you cant wait 6 months (individual) for something then you dont like it that much. As far as trusts go after 41f I think they’re figuring shit out still, that’s not an excuse for an absurd wait, but I dont think anything out of the ordinary is happening, almost 400,000 forms, double what they did in 2013 plus we had 41f and on top of that the government has never been known to “quickly adjust”, I wouldn’t doubt if they still have the same amount of workers. Not defending crappy work ethic, just saying I’m not surprised.

You say that nothing out of the ordinary is happening, but the tracker disagrees of late. There is no excuse for late august ’17 ones being approved while many are waiting like myself since march ’17.

Gunner
      Participant

Still waiting on second form 4 submitted Jan 17 2017!!!

ShooterGibbs
    Participant

I purchased 2 suppressors, AAC with check cashed 3-27-17, and Gemtech with check cashed 3-20-17. Called to check on Gemtech 1-23-18, and was told pending FBI background check. I only checked the Gemtech because of the earlier check cashed. But the AAC approved on 1-13-18 and was received by LGS on 1-27-18. Just called to check on Gemtech status and it is still pending FBI background check. There is no reason I can see why one approved and the other is still pending FBI background check. Obviously they went to two different people, but if on background check all ready came back, why is the other one not just approved since there is no problems with the first check. Seems to be just more government waste and lost time.

Gunner
      Participant

Same thing with me. One approved on Nov 28 2017. Seconomy in background check both check cashed Jan 17 2017!!!

Tayler
    Participant

lol I’m not saying its great some some people are waiting 4+ months extra (I am one of them), I am just saying its whats happening right now, people think their forms are lost, I’ve seen people put cancellations in and resubmitted even which is idiotic. The form times for non-fbi delay go through roughly what the normal times are and everything that goes to the fbi is taking 2-4 months extra

Tayler
    Participant

If the fbi has to get paperwork for example if you got a dui 20 years ago or something and they have to get confirmation from that county to show not guilty, its on the county at that point, that’s one of many reasons some wait 2 months extra and some wait 5 months extra in this fbi check

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Tayler.

Gunner
      Participant

Not so received one stamp in nov. Waiting on background check now. Both checks cashed Jan 17 2017!! So I have a suppressor in hand. Why the long wait. Nothing has changed, no DUIs nothing????

ShooterGibbs
    Participant

I guess my biggest point is that I and 99% or higher of the people that are seeking to get Form 1 and Form 4 approvals can walk into any gun store and pass the NICS check and walk out with a firearm. It takes less than 5 minutes on the phone. And if you have a CPL, there is no NICS check because the FBI all ready did a background check prior to receiving a CPL.

davidlofton
      Participant

Here is what I view SHOULD happen. When purchasing an NFA item (obviously other than a destructive device due to the indiosyncracies in that) from a dealer, you should fill out the Form 4 or Form 1 there, they run a NICS check, then you pay an extra $200 that is submitted to the ATF and the entire thing is then E-Formed straight into the database. You leave with your NFA item that day because you’re considered « registered » on the NFRTR the minute you pay your $200, pass the NICS and do your EFORM. what’s so damned difficult in that? Easy peasy as my 9 year old says.

Here’s the real answer. Federal government wants it to be as hard as possible to get them. Delay it long enough and make it hard enough and people will not buy. There’s ample proof of this in California and other places. Feds just playing the same game. This could all be solved if we had real leadership.

ShooterGibbs
        Participant

I completely agree. It should be as easy as buying a firearm. There should be no $200 stamp. Anyone that can pass the NICS should be able to buy a suppressor. I mean come on, a suppressor is useless unless it’s attached to a firearm. And everyone that’s waiting for the a approval of a suppressor must have a firearm to put it on. Or the suppressor is no more than a really cool paperweight.

762ed
    Participant

Mine was pending FBI back since at least 12-14-17. I called back every week until it was finally approved on 1-27-18. About 6 weeks pending FBI background check.

Peter Suciu
    Participant

Two weeks ago (last week of January) mine was FBI pending, and I was called this week and told the stamp arrived! I paid via Credit Card in May, so just about 250 days. The irony is that after waiting this long I have been slammed with work and then snow and can’t pick up my item until this weekend!

Tayler
    Participant

Mine has been pending fbi for 5 months lol

Tayler
    Participant

Two weeks ago (last week of January) mine was FBI pending, and I was called this week and told the stamp arrived! I paid via Credit Card in May, so just about 250 days. The irony is that after waiting this long I have been slammed with work and then snow and can’t pick up my item until this weekend!

Individual form 4?

Peter Suciu
      Participant

Yes, Individual Form 4. In this case I submitted the paperwork directly to the NFA office and the sale is from a friend to me – we’re both in the same state.

I will add I might have been approved sooner as I made some rookie mistakes. First, I should have copied my friend’s prior Form 4 paperwork EXACTLY. I used different words to describe the same thing, so the forms were returned to him. Then I made the mistake of having him mail everything to me. He is about two hours away and it would have been worth it to drive up there and get the paperwork. It took two days to get it instead of four hours round trip. That delayed my corrections back to the ATF.

But we made the corrections and returned it and all seems good. Now we’re buried in snow so I won’t be getting it today. Maybe tomorrow!

Gunner
    Participant

Two Form 4 submitted Jan 17 2017
    One approved Nov 28. Stamp in hand Dec 6th 2017. Other still in background check. 13 months and rolling.

SlasherMcGee
    Participant

I submitted 2 form 4 individuals(SBR and suppressor) in January 2017. Received the stamps is July 2017.

Submitted another form 4 individual (SBR) in March 2017. Received the stamp in October.

Submitted another form 4 individual (suppressor) April 2017. Check cashed April 12th. I’ve been FBI pending for as long as I can remember. Just called today and still in FBI pending.

The only thing “bad” on my record that I can think of would be speeding tickets, and a Minor In Consumption of Alcohol when I was 18.

Am I to believe the reason i’m at 10+ months on a f4 Individual is because for whatever reason, “This” submission was sent to the FBI and they are waiting to hear something back from my local law enforcement about a Minor I received 20 years ago?

Voltage
    Participant

So my question to you all is what is pending and is there any other status’s besides approved? So is there really a need to call more than once or multiple times? I have called twice once when I only had one submission from 6-16 and was told “pending” in 11-16. called today on both submissions the 6-6-16 and 1-8-18 and was told “pending”. I was told they go into pending as soon as your payment clears and info is placed in the system which was the the day my cc was charged.
    Also 2 person trust husband/wife

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Voltage.

Ryan
      Participant

I have only ever gotten “pending” for mine. My current one which was cashed on 11/29/17 is pending and my last suppressor which was approved on 10/25 was pending when I called 2 days before to check on the status. I have never gotten the waiting on fbi background check but I think its pretty cool to at least have a status other than pending.

Jeff Tedford
    Participant

My form went pending Aug 24th and I got super excited a few weeks back when I was seeing some july/aug form 4 individuals starting to come in, and decided to call for the 1st time. Lady told me that it was pending and no mention of an fbi check.

Cool, I’ll wait a couple of weeks and call back and fully expect them to tell me it is cleared and the stamp is on the way.

Well, I called back yesterday and now theyre telling me its pending fbi check. Man, talk about mad. Complete BS.

Thing is, is that just last year I had to go through the long wait of an fbi check that my state requires to get my conceal carry permit.

JoeJr00
    Participant

I purchased my suppressor from Silencershop.com 7/4/17 signed the paperwork and they mailed it 7/10/17. I was told check was cashed 9/18/17. So I am itching to hear that the tax stamp is at my local dealer and I can pick up my can. It is the Sig SRD762-QD. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Hasselblad
    Participant

FYI to those who call them:
    “Pending” in a nutshell is the most generic way of telling you that you do not have your stamp yet. When they tell you “pending” ask them what stage it actually is in. I had to do so the last few calls in order for them to tell me it was awaiting the FBI BG check.

Again, “pending” is just their catchall answer that means every stage between check cashed and approval.

Tayler
    Participant

I purchased my suppressor from Silencershop.com 7/4/17 signed the paperwork and they mailed it 7/10/17. I was told check was cashed 9/18/17. So I am itching to hear that the tax stamp is at my local dealer and I can pick up my can. It is the Sig SRD762-QD. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Silencershop is screwing people.. there’s no reason the check cashing times should take that long, if you send you own form they cash it in like a week

Josh
    Participant

So if I was charged with a misdemeanor 10 years ago, and that charge was dismissed and expunged will that cause a long delay?

davidlofton
      Participant

If the charge and the ARREST were both fully expunged from the local and federal (NCIC) databases then it is GONE forever and will not be picked up on a NICS check.

Josh
        Participant

Yes I believe that is the case since I’ve called the county courthouse with the docket # and they say nothing shows up.

Steve
          Participant

I work for the court system(federal). We have people that get background checks and something pops up. Alot of times what it ends up being is that they were at some point finger printed by some agency even if no charges are filed, their finger prints are still out there. We do a search then issue a letter stating along lines of ‘no record found’

Tayler
    Participant

So if I was charged with a misdemeanor 10 years ago, and that charge was dismissed and expunged will that cause a long delay?

Yes, not necessarily long, but as long as it takes for them to verify which in my opinion is why some “pending fbi check” cases are 1 month extra and some have wait an extra 5+ months. That being said. I have a dismissed dui (not guilty) from 15 years ago that never gives me a NICS hold, so its all random if you ask me

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Write Reviews, Submit Tracking Data and More!

Subscribe to NFA Tracker, a community dedicated to tracking and reporting NFA transfer times as reported by users.

Join Now